RYA Stage 2 Youth Sailing
The world-recognised second step to becoming a confident young sailor.
The world-recognised second step to becoming a confident young sailor. A two-day sailing course for kids 8+, taught by our highly-qualified instructors in the beautiful surroundings of New Quay bay.
By the end of the course kids will have developed the skills needed to sail around a course tacking, gybing and controlling boat speed. Plus a bit more theory and a few more knots!
More details [opens as a dropdown tab thing please]
By the end of this course the student should be able to:
- Put a boat head to wind for rigging and then rig a sailing dinghy
- Manoeuvre a trolley clear of other boats and overhead cables
- Launch and recover a small dinghy on an offshore wind
- Tie a reef knot and a round turn with two half hitches
- Can control speed and stop by lying-to
- Can get out of irons
- Can go about (close reach to close reach)
- Can crew a boat effectively
- Can sail a shallow triangle across the wind under supervision (gybing optional)
- Understands the principles of the 5 essentials
- Return to a beach or pontoon (offshore wind)
- Can be scooped in during capsize recovery or can right a dinghy
- Understands the No Go Zone
- Understands what is meant by windward, leeward and gybe
- Understands several ways of finding the wind direction
- Has knowledge of
- Spars and rigging
- Parts of the sail
- Sail controls and foils
- Offshore and onshore winds
- Port / Starboard Rule
The boats we use will depend on the conditions on the dates; you can see our dinghy fleet here.
We have wetsuits you can hire for £5. You’ll also need to bring lunch or buy it nearby. Bring a towel and swimsuit, and wetsuit boots/old trainers. We provide buoyancy aids.
What we provide:
- Wetsuits (£5 hire)
- Buoyancy aid (compulsory)
- Spraytop/cagoule – optional wind protection
- Wetsuit boots
- Small free lockers
- Male and female changing rooms
- Hot showers
- Coffee/hot chocolate machine
- Waterproof phone pouches/glasses cords to buy
RYA Stage 2 Youth Sailing
Frequently Asked Questions
- How old do I need to be?
Minimum age 8.
- What is the upper age limit?
If you aren’t sure about the upper age limit, it’s about 14, but depends on maturity and size! You can give us a call to suss it out.
- Do you teach levels and stages in the same group?
We cannot teach Levels and Stages to the same group, as they have different syllabi
- Do I need to be a good swimmer?
You need a basic level of water confidence.
- Can I use my own boat?
Please note we use our own boats and cannot use yours (but can advise!)
- How large is the group in each session?
We can take a max of six students to one instructor.
- Is there a minimum number of people for the course to run?
Minimum two students for the course to run.
- Are activities at a set time every day?
We may have to adjust preferred timings to allow for the tide.
- Do the parents have to stick around to watch the kids?
Kids will be under our authority except for lunch hour, so parents can enjoy most of the day off!
- Where to stay, park, eat etc?
Please see our main FAQs page for information on Where to stay, park, eat etc.