RYA Stage 1 Youth Sailing
The world-recognised introductory two-day sailing course for kids 8+, taught by our highly-qualified instructors in the beautiful surroundings of New Quay bay. By the end of the course kids should be able to sail in all directions in light winds under supervision, have an awareness of launching and recovering, and be able to tie a few basic knots. All students will receive the RYA handbook to help them learn. By the end of the course the student should be well on their way to:
- Assist rigging a sailing dinghy
- Launch and get underway with instruction
- Secure a boat to trolley and assist with packing away
- Tie a figure of eight and cleat a halyard
- Can be a responsive crew under instruction
- Steer when sailing and being towed
- Can steer on a reach and go about
- Understands the effect of basic boat controls
- Understands the basic principles of stopping, controlling speed and getting out of irons
- Can paddle or row
- Can call for assistance
- Can put on personal buoyancy correctly and knows what to wear
- Is confident in the water wearing personal buoyancy
- Capsize recovery – understands the importance of staying with the boat
- Can name basic parts of a boat
The boats we use will depend on the conditions on the dates; you can see our dinghy fleet here. We have wetsuits you can hire for £5. You’ll also need to bring lunch or buy it nearby. Bring a towel and swimsuit, and wetsuit boots/old trainers. We provide buoyancy aids.
What we provide:
- Wetsuits (£5 hire)
- Buoyancy aid (compulsory)
- Spraytop/cagoule – optional wind protection
- Wetsuit boots
- Small free lockers
- Male and female changing rooms
- Hot showers
- Coffee/hot chocolate machine
- Waterproof phone pouches/glasses cords to buy
- RYA textbook
RYA Stage 1 Youth Sailing
Frequently Asked Questions
- How old do I need to be?
Minimum age 8.
- What is the upper age limit?
If you aren’t sure about the upper age limit, it’s about 14, but depends on maturity and size! You can give us a call to suss it out.
- Will you teach level 1 and stage 1?
We cannot teach Level 1 and Stage 1 in the same group, as they have different syllabi.
- Do I need to be a good swimmer?
You need a basic level of water confidence.
- Can I use my own boat?
Please note we use our own boats and cannot use yours (but can advise!)
- What happens if there are no suitable dates for me?
If there are no dates that suit you, please contact us.
- How large is the group in each session?
We can take a max of six students to one instructor.
- Is there a minimum number of people for the course to run?
Minimum two students for the course to run.
- Are activities at a set time every day?
We may have to adjust preferred timings to allow for the tide.
- Do the parents have to stick around to watch the kids?
Kids will be under our authority except for lunch hour, so parents can enjoy most of the day off!
- Where to stay, park, eat etc?
Please see our main FAQs page for information on Where to stay, park, eat etc.