RYA Level 1 Keelboat course
Learn and have fun with the Experts
Keelboats are a step up in size from dinghies – more like a small yacht, but generally not as big as a cruising yacht. They can bridge the gap between dinghies and cruisers, offering many benefits of both, to the adult beginner.
We have a Hawk 20 called Sprite which we use for tasters, courses and racing at the Yacht Club.
She can comfortably accommodate four adults and your instructor.
Sign up here for our two-day RYA Level 1 Keelboat course, which will equip you to sail competently with help. By the end of the course you should be able to sail in all directions in light winds under supervision, have an awareness of launching and recovering, and be able to tie basic knots. You will receive the RYA handbook to help you learn.
What we provide
- Waterproof trousers and jacket
- Wetsuit boots
- Small free lockers
- Male and female changing rooms
- Hot showers
- Coffee/hot chocolate machine (small charge)
- Waterproof phone pouches/glasses cords to buy
- What is the minimum age for this activity?
Minimum age 8.
- Do I need to be a good swimmer?
You need a basic level of water confidence.
- Can I use my own boat?
Please note we use our own boats and cannot use yours.
- Will I get a certification at the end of the activity?
This session does not carry certification.
- How large is the group in each session?
We can take a max of four students to one instructor on Sprite.
- Do you need a minimum number of people to run this course?
Minimum two students.
- Are activities at a set time every day?
We may have to adjust preferred timings to allow for the tide.
- What else is there to do in New Quay?
Please see our main FAQs page for information on Where to stay, park, eat etc.