RYA Sailing Level 1
Learn and have fun with the Experts
The industry-standard introductory two-day sailing course, taught by our highly-qualified instructors in the beautiful surroundings of New Quay bay.
By the end of the course you should be able to sail in all directions in light winds under supervision, have an awareness of launching and recovering, and be able to tie a couple of basic knots. You will receive the RYA handbook to help you learn.
The boats we use will depend on the conditions on the dates; you can see our dinghy fleet here.
We have wetsuits you can hire for £5. You’ll also need to bring lunch or buy it nearby. Bring a towel and swimsuit, and wetsuit boots/old trainers. We provide buoyancy aids.
What we provide
- Wetsuits (£5 hire)
- Buoyancy aid
- Spraytop (cagoule)
- Wetsuit boots
- Small free lockers
- Male and female changing rooms
- Hot showers
- Coffee/hot chocolate machine (small charge)
- Waterproof phone pouches/glasses cords to buy
- RYA textbook
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the minimum age for this activity?
Minimum age 13. Kids should do Stage 1.
- Do I need to be a good swimmer?
You need a basic level of water confidence.
- Can I use my own boat?
Please note we use our own boats and cannot use yours (but can advise!)
- What happens if there are no suitable dates for me?
If there are no dates that suit you, please contact us.
- How large is the group in each session?
We can take a maximum of six students to one instructor.
- Do you need a minimum number of people to run this course?
We need a minimum of two students for the course to run.
- Are activities at a set time every day?
We may have to adjust preferred timings to allow for the tide.
- What else is there to do in New Quay?
Please see our main FAQs page for information on Where to stay, park, eat etc.