Learn and have fun with the Experts
Keelboats are a step up in size from dinghies – more like a small yacht, but generally not as big as a cruising yacht. They can bridge the gap between dinghies and cruisers, offering many benefits of both, to the adult beginner.
We have a Hawk 20 called Sprite which we use for tasters, courses and racing at the Yacht Club.
She can comfortably accommodate four adults and your instructor.
A two-hour taster session will start with a shore-based introduction to boat basics and some theory (weather, tides etc.). You will then head out onto the water to have a go at crewing and helming, or just sitting and enjoying the day if you prefer! Ideal for a family trip (and the dolphins love the boat).
What we provide
- Waterproof trousers and jacket
- Wetsuit boots
- Small free lockers
- Male and female changing rooms
- Hot showers
- Coffee/hot chocolate machine (small charge)
- Waterproof phone pouches/glasses cords to buy
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the minimum age for this activity?
Minimum age 8.
- Do I need to be a good swimmer?
You need a basic level of water confidence.
- Can I use my own boat?
Please note we use our own boats and cannot use yours.
- Will I get a certification at the end of the activity?
This session does not carry certification.
- How large is the group in each session?
We can take a max of four students to one instructor on Sprite.
- Do you need a minimum number of people to run this course?
Minimum two students.
- Are activities at a set time every day?
We may have to adjust preferred timings to allow for the tide.
- What else is there to do in New Quay?
Please see our main FAQs page for information on Where to stay, park, eat etc.