Print Friendly and PDF

Absence and Holiday policy - March 2021

Absence and holiday policy – March 2021


If you are unable to attend work, you must try to contact the Centre manager by 8am to allow some time to arrange someone to cover your work.

Covid 19

If you cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19)

You could get SSP if you’re self-isolating because:

You or someone you live with has coronavirus symptoms or has tested positive for coronavirus

You’ve been notified by the NHS or public health authorities that you’ve been in contact with someone with coronavirus

Someone in your support bubble (or your ‘extended household’ if you live in Scotland or Wales) has coronavirus symptoms or has tested positive for coronavirus

You’ve been advised by a doctor or healthcare professional to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery

You can also get SSP if you’ve been advised to shield because you’re at very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus.

You cannot get SSP if you’re self-isolating after entering or returning to the UK and do not need to self-isolate for any other reason.

You could get SSP for every day you’re off work.


Compassionate Leave

Requests for compassionate leave must be agreed with the Centre manager.


Jury Service

You can delay jury service once in a 12-month period, you may need a letter from CBW explaining why.   CBW will not pay you for your time on Jury service. 


Medical and Dental Appointments

Whenever possible arrange you appointment for in agreement with the Centre manager.



Paid holiday is accrued at a rate of 1.67 days per month.  If you work part-time, your holiday entitlement will be calculated pro-rata to the number of hours you work.


Public holidays are treated as normal working days.

Holiday accrued but not taken will be paid at the end of the season or at the end of your employment. 

Sick pay – Eligibility

To qualify for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) you must:

Be classed as an employee and have done some work for your employer

Earn an average of at least £120 per week

Have been ill, self-isolating or ‘shielding’ for at least 4 days in a row (including non-working days)

How many days you can get SSP for depends on why you’re off work.

Agency workers are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay.

See HM Government website for full details.

Reviewed 24/03/2021